STRAITS OF MACKINAC, LAKE HURON, BOIS BLANC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Foundation Materials: EMPLACED
Construction Materials: YELLOW BRICK
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL WITH WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- Bois Blanc Island Light was the second light station established on Lake Huron. The first lighthouse at the station was a 65 foot masonry tower and keeper’s quarters. Built dangerously close to the surf, the tower fell into the lake in 1837.
- A second lighthouse was built on the island in 1839 on higher ground. It was a 30 foot stone tower. A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in 1857.
- The third and current lighthouse was built in 1867, after the second lighthouse was considered to be in a “severely dilapidated” condition. It is a two story dwelling with an attached tower in the front. The tower is 38 feet tall. The fourth order lens from the second light was installed in this tower.
- The Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse was deactivated in 1924 and was replaced by a new automated acetylene light on a steel tower.
- The light was decommissioned in 1955 and sold to a private owner in 1956. The 1867 lighthouse is a private residence but the steel tower is an active aid to navigation.
The above was researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
- Eber Ward (1829-1843)
- William Church (1843-1843)
- Lyman Granger (1845-1854)
- Mrs. Charles O’Malley (1854-1855)
- Henry Grainger (1855-1857, Mary Grainger filed in for him for a few month)
- Peter Therien (1857-1859)
- Charles Syons (1859-1861)
- Charles Louisignau (1861-1866)
- Charles Hamel (1866-1867)
- John Wackter (1867-1870)
- Vetal Bourisau (1870-1874)
- Levi Chapman (1874-1881)
- William Marshall (1881- acting keeper for two months)
- Lorenzo Holder (1881-1894)
- Henry Metivier (1894-1924)
The above was researched and written by Catherine (Kitty) Price, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.
Content provided by www.uscg.mil