Location: Southern Shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Station Established: 1896
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Automated? YES 1941
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: BRICK/REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK WITH WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER
- In 1896 Big Bay Point Light was lit. The square tower was attached to a two-story brick duplex. The duplex served as residence for the Keeper and Assistant Keeper.
- The light contained a third order Fresnel lens. The light was automated in 1941.
- The property changed owners several times over the next few decades. It was purchased in 1979 and became a bed and breakfast in 1986. The owners retrieved the original lens and had it reassembled for display.
- The light still serves as an active aid to navigation.
- Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.