Photo Courtesy of Linda Scalise Schamberger (All rights reserved)
Station Established: 1896
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Operational: YES - It is maintained by the USCG and it is a fully functioning lighthouse.
Automated: YES 1954
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL W/FAUX LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD AND HALF ORDER, FRESNEL 1896
The lighthouse was established and lit in 1896 and was deactivated in 1954. The lighthouse was constructed out of red brick, with an octagonal tower. The lantern portion of the tower was removed from an 1870s lighthouse in Cleveland, Ohio and moved to Braddock in 1895. The original lens, installed in 1896, was a third-and-half-order Fresnel lens. The upper two-thirds of the tower was removed by the Coast Guard in 1954 due to structural damage. The Coast Guard reactivated the light on February 28, 1999. The lighthouse is now privately owned and has opened as a bed and breakfast.
Photos Courtesy of Linda Scalise Schamberger (All rights reserved)
ARLHS World List of Lights Light
List, Volume VII, Great Lakes (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
"Rudy and Alice's Lighthouse Page". 2009-01-03. Archived from the original on 2009-06-19.