White River Lighthouse

Image Courtesy of Walter E. Elliott

Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association

Station Established: 1875
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1875
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1945
Deactivated: 1960
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1875 

Historical Information:

Had a female light keeper, Frances Johnson, who served from 1948-1954 - (USCG)

The White River Light is a lighthouse on Lake Michigan near the city of Whitehall, Michigan. It sits on a thin peninsula of land separating Lake Michigan from White Lake. The building was built in 1875.

Some of the buildings in existence for the lightstation consisted of the tower and attached dwelling, the South Pier-head Beacon light, oil house, woodshed or strage building and Privy.

The lighthouse is open to the public as a museum with regular hours posted from Memorial Weekend through August 31. The lighthouse is also open through September and October with reduced hours. The museum has a number of artifacts from the passenger and freight shipping on the lakes in addition to information on the light itself. - (Wiki)

Images Courtesy of Walter E. Elliott


  • Frances Johnson, who served from 1948-1954

Content Courtesy of the US Coast Guard Historian's Office (USCG) And Wikipedia (Wiki)