Plan Your Next Lighthouse Adventure

Booking.com Booking.com
Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse

Source Wiki Media Commons

STRAITS OF MACKINAC, LAKE HURON, BOIS BLANC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Operational? NO
Automated? N/A
Deactivated: 1924
Foundation Materials: EMPLACED
Construction Materials: YELLOW BRICK
Tower Shape: 
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL WITH WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL

Historical Information:

  • Bois Blanc Island Light was the second light station established on Lake Huron. The first lighthouse at the station was a 65 foot masonry tower and keeper’s quarters. Built dangerously close to the surf, the tower fell into the lake in 1837.
  • A second lighthouse was built on the island in 1839 on higher ground. It was a 30 foot stone tower. A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in 1857.
  • The third and current lighthouse was built in 1867, after the second lighthouse was considered to be in a “severely dilapidated” condition. It is a two story dwelling with an attached tower in the front. The tower is 38 feet tall. The fourth order lens from the second light was installed in this tower.
  • The Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse was deactivated in 1924 and was replaced by a new automated acetylene light on a steel tower.
  • The light was decommissioned in 1955 and sold to a private owner in 1956. The 1867 lighthouse is a private residence but the steel tower is an active aid to navigation.

The above was researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Keepers:

  • Eber Ward (1829-1843)
  • William Church (1843-1843)
  • Lyman Granger (1845-1854)
  • Mrs. Charles O’Malley (1854-1855)
  • Henry Grainger (1855-1857, Mary Grainger filed in for him for a few month)
  • Peter Therien (1857-1859)
  • Charles Syons (1859-1861)
  • Charles Louisignau (1861-1866)
  • Charles Hamel (1866-1867)
  • John Wackter (1867-1870)
  • Vetal Bourisau (1870-1874)
  • Levi Chapman (1874-1881)
  • William Marshall (1881- acting keeper for two months)
  • Lorenzo Holder (1881-1894)
  • Henry Metivier (1894-1924)

The above was researched and written by Catherine (Kitty) Price, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.

Content provided by www.uscg.mil