Location: EASTERLY EDGE OF HARBOR ISLAND
Station Established: 1855
Year First Lit: 1857
Operational: Yes, as a private aid
Tower Shape/Markings/Pattern: Brown, octagonal, pyramidal tower made of brick; lantern, black; two dwellings near (as of 1903).
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER
Characteristic: Fixed white
Fog Horn: None
- Construction of the station began in 1855.
- Originally a Fixed fourth order, 55 feet above the base and 60 feet above sea level. Brown brick tower, octagonal.
- Lens removed and station secured in 1861.
- On the orders of Confederate General John Bankhead Magruder Confederate forces attempted to blow up the lighthouse in December, 1862. They were apparently not completely successful as there are other attempts the following year. Sometime during 1863 they succeeded in shooting "the circular iron stairway through the lantern, severely damaging the brickwork" after detonating two kegs of black powder.
- A Federal survey party sent to the site in 1866 noted that the "old lantern has diagonal frames and was much injured by the attempt made by rebels to blow up the tower with gun powder. Much of the brick work of the tower is shattered by the explosions and the cast iron steps almost wholly destroyed."
- Tower was rebuilt in 1867 and was first relit on 15 June 1867.
- On 4 June 1952 the Coast Guard ordered the disestablishment of the light station.
- A new lighted aid was established at and the radio-beacon moved to the nearby Coast Guard Station Port Aransas. The new light was an 85 foot steel skeleton tower.
- Original station site now a private aid to navigation named Lydia Ann Channel Light.
Content provided by www.uscg.mil